Nevin Halıcı is a Turkish cookbook writer, food journalist, lecturer, food researcher and cultural anthropologist. She is a leading authority on Anatolian Food Cultures and is highly acclaimed for her books on Sufi, Selçuk and Ottoman cuisines.
Born 1941 in Konya, Turkey, Nevin Halıcı is the daughter of Sabri and Hanım Halıcı. Her siblings are Ömer Halıcı, Nuriye Halıcı, Feyzi Halıcı, Medhi Halıcı, Nermin Halıcı and Hasan Halıcı.
She attended primary school in Konya, 1952, followed by the Konya Institute for Girls, 1960.
Between 1970-1975, she studied Home Economics and Nutrition at Ankara Gazi University.
She obtained the “Cookery Certificate” diploma from the City and Guilds of London Institute in 1986.
She completed her MA titled -Research on the Past and Contemporary Winter Foods Prepared in Konya- at Selçuk University in Konya, 1991 and her Ph D titled - Research on Black Sea Regional Dishes- at Gazi University in Ankara, 1997.
She is the first person in Turkey to earn a doctorate degree in Culinary Arts.
In addition to her numerous cookery volumes, Halıcı has widely traveled through Anatolia meticulously archiving her research for future studies.
She has written countless papers and articles on Turkish and Anatolian food systems published both nationally and internationally.
Halıcı has also designed the menu concepts of many official state functions as well as international congresses and symposiums...
She started teaching culinary education in Ankara in 1975 and continued her vocation in various schools in İzmir and Konya until retiring in 1999.
She has served as the President of the Konya Culture and Tourism Association between 2012-2016.
She is a member of the founding committee of the Nevin Halıcı Food Culture Foundation established in 2021.
• Exhibition: Menus from Turkish Cuisine’s Historical Evolution İzmir, 1983
• Menus of First İnternational Food Congress İstanbul, 1986
• Exhibition: Konya Home Dishes Konya, 1986
• Oxford Symposium on Food and Cookery: Pekmez in Anatolian Kitchen Oxford - UK, 1987 Taste Proceedings, Prospect Books Ltd. 1988, pp 100-102
• Exhibition: Külünçe (Soldier Pastries) Ankara, 1987
• Menus of Second İnternational Food Congress Istanbul, Konya, 1987
• Exhibition: Gaziantep Home Dishes 1987
•Exhibition: Dishes of Poppy 1987
• Menu from Turkey: ‘The Flour of Spain, Turkey, Tunisia, Morocco and Greece, San Francisco, 1988
• Demonstration: Veiled Pilaf San Francisco, 1988
• Conference on Islamic Culture: “Aragon Lives its History” Teruel - Spain, 1988
• Menus for Third International Food Congress İstanbul, 1990
• Oxford Symposium on Food and Cookery: White Foods in Anatolian Feasts Oxford, UK, 1990 Feasting and Fasting Proceedings, Prospect Books Ltd. 1990, pp 104-105
• Menus of Fourth International Food Congress İstanbul, 1992
• Menus of Fifth International Food Congress İstanbul, 1994
• Exhibition: Wedding Party Dishes of Konya Konya, 1994
• Menus for “The Future of “Islamic Values Symposium” 1995
• Geleneksel Konya Yemekleri, Ankara: Güven Matbaası, 1979
• Ege Bölgesi Yemekleri, Ankara: Güven Matbaası, 1981
• Akdeniz Bölgesi Yemekleri, Konya: Arı Basımevi, 1983
• Türk Mutfağı, Ankara: Güven Matbaası, 1985-1990
• Güneydoğu Anadolu Bölgesi Yemekleri, Arı Ofset Matbaacılık, 1991
• Siniden Tepsiye Klasik Türk Mutfağı, Usaş Yayını, 1999
• Konya’da Kışlık Yiyecekler Üzerine Bir Araştırma, Güray Ofset Matbaacılık, 2000
• Karadeniz Bölgesi Yemekleri, Güray Ofset Matbaacılık, 2001
• Nevin Halıcı’s Turkish Cookbook, Londra: Dorling Kindersley Limited, 1989
• Das Türkische Kochbuch Nevin Halıcı, Münih: Christian Verlag,1990 Kaleidoskop Buch, 1990
• Sufi Cuisine, Londra: Saqi Books, 2005
• Mevlevi Mutfağı, İstanbul: Metro Kültür Yayınları, 2008
• Türk Mutfağı, İstanbul: Oğlak Yayıncılık, 2009
• Konya Yemek Kültürü ve Konya Yemekleri Konya: Rumi Yayınları, 2011
• Açıklamalı Mutfak ve Yemek Terimleri Sözlüğü, İstanbul: Oğlak Yayıncılık, 2013
• Konya Mutfağı Konya: Selçuklu Belediyesi Yayınları, 2014
• Geçmişin İzleriyle Sille Mutfağı Konya: Selçuklu Belediyesi Yayınları, 2014
• Selçuklu Dönemi Mutfağı Konya: Selçuklu Belediyesi Yayınları, 2015
• Zaman İçinde 1 Ankara: Bil Ofset Matbaa, 2015
• Zaman İçinde 2 Ankara: Bil Ofset Matbaa, 2015
• Zaman İçinde 3 Ankara: Bil Ofset Matbaa, 2016
• Zaman İçinde 4 Ankara: Bil Ofset Matbaa, 2016
• Ali Eşref Dede’nin Yemek Risalesi, 2017
• Yemek ve Mutfak Alan Araştırmaları İçin El Kitabı, 2020
• Orta Asya ve Göç Yolu Dönemi Mutfağı, 2021
• Sufi Cuisine, 2005 Gourmand Awards, UK : Best Book in a Foreign Language
• Açıklamalı Yemek ve Mutfak Terimleri Sözlüğü, 2013 World Books Awards, Istanbul : Best Gastronomy Book of the Year
• Ali Eşref Dede’nin Yemek Risalesi, 2017 Ateş Baz-ı Veli Gastronomy Awards: Best Food Book of the Year